Resources for Newly Elected City Officials
It’s time to grow!
As a newly elected city official, you are already a member of the League of Minnesota Cities. So what does that get you? A lot! We’ve compiled this web page just for you, so be sure to bookmark it and check back for new and timely updates throughout your first year in office.
CONFERENCES & TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
Whether it’s face-to-face or online, League training events are opportunities to network with others in your shoes, get your questions answered, and meet the League staff who will help you out down the road. (full schedule)
- City Learning Point courses: These courses are available on the League’s website; you take these courses anywhere and on your own schedule.
- Webinars: Webinars are free for members, and we offer a new one every month. May’s webinar is Meeting Management—Managing Expectations and Meeting Your Goals scheduled for 11 a.m. on May 6.
If you miss a webinar, you can access the recordings on our website at any time.
Recorded webinar highlights:
LEARN ON LOCATION
Registration is open now for these affordable training opportunities.
Events happening this spring:
- 2014 LMC Annual Conference
June 18-20 in St. Cloud
Register today for the biggest learning opportunity of the year. This year’s conference is all about bold new ideas and fresh takes on perennial issues. Get a good start by attending the Elected Officials Preconference Workshop on Wednesday morning.
- Elected Officials Preconference Workshop
June 18 in St. Cloud
Thinking about going to the 2014 Annual Conference in St. Cloud? Get a good start by attending the Elected Officials Preconference Workshop on Wednesday morning. You’ll review critical information on legal requirements, financial basics, communications skills, and more alongside elected officials of all experience levels.
SOME ESSENTIAL READING
- The Minnesota Mayors Handbook, a product of the Minnesota Mayors Association in cooperation with the League, is a starting point for all you need to learn to be a successful mayor.
Your LMC Resource
We're Here To Help
Tap the knowledge and resources of League staff to get answers to your questions about city government. It's our job to help you, and we're happy to do it!
Contact League Staff
LMC Main Line
(651) 281-1200 or
A receptionist will direct your call during business hours.
8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon-Fri
Get an orientation to the League!
Watch this orientation video to discover the resources and services available to you through your city's membership in the League.
We want to make your job as easy as possible and look forward to the opportunity to serve you!
Watch the orientation video (6:37 minutes)
Reach Minnesota Cities!